The Clear Out

Is it just me, or do you ever feel suffocated by the mess around you?
I always find that a clear environment provides me with a clear mind.

For me, I find that clearing out my wardrobe and donating to charity every few months not only creates a feeling of space within my environment, but it’s always an amazing feeling to donate to others.

Today I decided that it was the day. (Thanks Beans for the help!)

I find the easiest way to organise my clothes is to be as brutal as possible when it comes to picking the ones for the donation pile. Too often in the past have I decided to keep clothes that “I may wear one day”, but I know deep down I never will.

I often ask myself, “If you were going out to an event or a birthday tonight – would you wear this?” even if the answer “I’m not sure”, that item is going straight into the donation pile.

It can always feel disheartening to say goodbye to much-loved clothes of yours, but you’ll always feel a sense of freedom and space once it’s gone.

Here are all the light coloured clothes that I now own.
Who’d thought we’d ever see the day, right?! A whole wardrobe section with no black!

Ever since donating 95% of all I owned before moving to the UK, I’ve found it tremendously easier to part with material items. I hate to hoard things for the sole purpose of having a “collection”, as I’m someone who likes to buy things for practical uses.

Following on from that – I now own 10 pairs of shoes in total. I have 3 pairs of runners (aka trainers / sneakers), 1 pair of “smarter” runners, 2 pairs of flip flops, 2 pairs of heels, 1 pair of ugg boots and a pair of sliders.

And you know what? I’m so happy with that.

I’m really glad that I’ve started to wear more colour ever since moving to the UK.
Strangely enough, I feel as though I’m becoming more like my Mum, the further away I am from her. I told her about this – and it’s something I’m yet to understand.
My Mum loves wearing white, pastel and light colours. She also loves pairing it with her luxury bags, high end perfumes, etc.
I’ve noticed ever since moving here, I’ve caught myself staring at high end items more and more.
I have never had an interest for “labels”, as I can’t comprehend paying over $1000 for a single bag, when I’m a person who’s all about practicality.

In fact, the purse I use on a daily basis cost me £10. The bag I often use on a daily basis, and also take to events, was $20 on Princess Polly. I love both of these items, and I would never judge a person on what label their clothing was, because it doesn’t mean anything to me.

However, as I grow older, I think one day I’d love to own a high end / luxury bag. I do own a Michael Korrs bag, which cost me around $200, and I only ever use that bag for special occasions. I’m so precious about that bag, so I can’t imagine what I’d be like if I owned one worth over $1000+!

Do you own a luxury bag? If so, which one do you have?

Back to the wardrobe – welcome to the dark side.
Ha ha… But really – half of my entire wardrobe is black – and that’s actually an improvement for me.

I have various sections on the side of my wardrobe which are used to hold my hair tools, PJs, trackies, jeans, trousers & shorts. I’ve decided to move my shorts section to the top cube because, well… Summer lasted about 10 seconds here in England. Let’s be real.

I’m so happy to be wearing long sleeve knits and jeans every day – regardless of the fact that it’s still supposed to be “summer” here – as I’m a winter baby at heart.
I can’t wait for the days where it’s cold enough to sit in front of the fire, wear scarves and jumpers and drink hot chocolates with marshmallows… I really am cliché, aren’t I?

And here we have The Pile.

I’m off to wash all of these clothes and make sure that they’re dry before donating them to charity tomorrow. I think I’ve removed 30% of my wardrobe today, and I can’t even begin to describe to you how refreshing it is to finally have space again in my wardrobe.

Now that my environment is organised and clean again, so is my mind.

Who else feels like this?
Have you done your own clear out recently?

Love always,
Danielle. x

12 Comments

1. August 10, 2017 / 6:14 pm

I loved this blog post !
    It’s so funny to see the bright side and the dark side of your wardrobe haha (Beans is so adorable).
    Laura xx

2. Emily
    August 10, 2017 / 6:33 pm

Thank you for the inspiration. My closet needs a good decluttering!

3. August 10, 2017 / 6:43 pm

This is fantastic! Good for you! I hate clutter too, so I try to clean out my closest at least once a month. To be fair, though, I hardly ever by clothes. I just wear the same things every day until they’re worn out. I’m not a clothes/shoes/bags type of person.

4. August 10, 2017 / 7:21 pm

Great post Dani! Big yes to buying clothes for practicality. I think British High Street stores are amazing and often good quality items can be found there. But at the same time I adore and always swoon over designer pieces and wish to own them one day. I see fashion as form of art and wonderful way of expression. An absolute dream would be to design a collection one day. And to see my designs make others happy, confident and excited. I will make this dream come true one day, just need to keep working on it. Thank you for opening your wardrobe to us and sharing your views.
    Lots of love xx

5. Ainsley
    August 10, 2017 / 7:54 pm

My wardrobe needs serious attention! After moving back home from a working holiday in Canada I have found myself only owning winter underlays…. and nothing nice! I’ve recently gotten a job at Foreever new and it is encouraging me to have a cute wardrobe! It’s nice to feel good and look good too! I have so many items of clothing that didn’t quite fit me since I had come home in April… however now that the weight is gone I’m finding myself hoarding items as you said, may never wear again. It’s such a struggle and I completely agree on not wanting to depart with the clothing I’ve had for so long! But this weekend, I am pulling myself together and donating!! As soon as I saw this post I was like yes please give me inspiration and tips to throw out!! 😂 Thank you for your post….loving it! much love from Australia x

6. Rachel
    August 10, 2017 / 9:11 pm

Been wanting to declutter my closet (and my life) for a while now, and this gave me the little push I needed. Definitely gonna be the stress reliever I need lol thank you Dani for the inspiration 💜

7. Bridget
    August 11, 2017 / 3:47 am

You motivate me so much to live my life better 😊 I love the declutter and the black vs colour … story of my life. Should really do the same with my shorts being NZ weather is quite similar to the UK. Love Beans input 💞 And you help me feel less lonely sometimes. Hope your followers do the same

8. August 11, 2017 / 4:48 am

I also find that when I have clutter around me, I feel more anxious. It’s as if the physical clutter, clutters my mind. I’m a big believer in doing regular clean outs like this, but I’m still mastering the task of pushing past the “I might wear that one day” or “oh but I wore this that time…” 😂 it’s a journey! Love the new colours in your wardrobe as well Dani, it’s great to see ☺️

9. August 11, 2017 / 8:30 am

I have recently cleaned out my wardrobe and it honestly felt so good I completely relate to what you’re saying in this post 😊❤

10. August 11, 2017 / 8:31 am

I think this is so great, Dani! Looks great with some colors in there, I am struggeling with the same “problem” haha… And downsizing is always such a lush feeling! <3

11. August 11, 2017 / 7:09 pm

it’s been a while since I clean out my wardrobe , and I should do it since i don’t have a lot of space but it’s hard even i don’t wear a lot ot the clothes i own, ahah but great post Danielle !!

12. Brittney
    August 13, 2017 / 2:16 am

I always do this! I go room by room sometimes and just get rid of things I don’t need. I always feel 1000 times better after ☺